Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Burning House

There is this blog, The Burning House. This site has captured my imagination for months now. The premise is simple,

"If your house was burning, what would you take with you? It's a conflict between what's practical, valuable and sentimental. What you would take reflects your interests, background and priorities. Think of it as an interview condensed into one question."

The photographs people submit are breathtaking and so interesting.

Some of my recent favorites,




The description for this photo is so lovely,


"I wondered around my house, looking at the ornaments and memories that filled it. I collected a few things, even photographed them. But somehow they didn’t seem to fit together. And then I looked down, at my feet, and realized that all I needed or wanted to ‘save’ from the burning house was me."


A few months back I took my Burning House Photo but then got nervous, and decided not to apply. I think I am mostly nervous that my photo wont get approved and make it to the blog. Many of the submitters are professional photographers and have gorgeous photos. Today I felt ready, and re took my photo. Even if I don't get accepted I am still pleased to share it with you.

My submission,


Name: Amber
Age: 23
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Occupation: Education Assistant and lover of life.
Website: http://fromtheseeds.blogspot.com/

List:

I spent a lot of time thinking about what items I would select if put in the burning house situation. I piled all of the items on my couch and took a few photographs. I slowly started really thinking about what I would take and began pulling items away until I was left with the few in the photograph. Before any possession I would save my kitty and sweet pug first. They both refused to sit for a photograph.

  • My laptop. I would be lost without my laptop, hundreds of photographs and countless words would be lost.
  • Iphone.
  • Passport.
  • Engagement ring.
  • Shoes on the way out.
  • White linen hand dyed and hand sewn wrap. I find this wrap/scarf so comforting, I think given a stressful situation it would help a great deal.
  • Current knitting project. My hands always have to be busy.

Wish me luck, I would be thrilled to be featured on this blog. While I wait to hear back if I was approved, go check out The Burning House! It is such an interesting look at people, and what they would take in the situation of a burning house.

Loves!

1 comment: