Monday, May 23, 2011

Seeding and Baking

Happy long weekend and Victoria Day Canadians!

We had a lovely weekend filled with gardening, baking, barbecuing and sleeping in. It was rejuvenating getting to relax and get lots of things done around the house.

I made this blueberry crisp that was inspired by Nourishing Traditions/WAPF.


Blueberry Crisp

Topping,
3/4 c whole almonds
1 c oats
1/4 c butter
2tbl maple syrup
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tsp vanilla

In a food processor pulverize the almonds into a coarse meal - then add oats and pulse a few times. Add butter and remaining ingredients and pulse until coarse (I did have to break apart some of the butter lumps by hand)

Filling,
Blueberries
Zest of one lemon
Maple Syrup
Vanilla Extract

In my baking dish I just dumped some blueberries - as many as I could fit. Then sprinkled on lemon zest, vanilla extract and cinnamon. I poured a small amount of maple syrup and stirred everything around. Top your filling with the yummy oat/almond mixture - and bake for an hour. I baked at 375* - half uncovered and half covered.

I spent several hours today in my garden weeding planting some beautiful tomato plants and strawberries. I also seeded cucumber, peas, broccoli, cherry tomato, pumpkin, squash and corn.

These are the strawberry plants in a planter on my lovely wooden benches. I really need to stain the benches, this last winter was hard on them!



This is one of my garden beds. The green plants to the left of the bed are some lovely tomatoes I picked up today at a local nursery. I use rocks as markers in the garden.




I seeded some tomato plants in the plastic garden boxes.

This empty bed will be filled with some potatoes I'm going to plant this week sometime.


I'm also happy to report that my flower garden is looking lovely and full.


I hope you had a lovely weekend! Happy gardening!



P.S.
I'm linking up here


&

Traditional Tuesdays at Cooking Traditional Foods

No comments:

Post a Comment