Thursday, May 5, 2011

Handmade Spring Soap


Happy May 5! Which is of course Cinco de Mayo and my birthday!

Recently I made a handmade cold process soap to enter in a local spring soap contest. The soap was meant to be spring inspired and I hope I delivered! The top prize is a 75$ gift certificate to my favorite soaping store, so here's hoping I win!

I was going to publish the recipe I used, however I do suggest that if you are interested in learning how to make cold process soap you first check out Soap Queen's tutorials on making cold process soap, this is how I learned myself. To check out the tutorials click here. If you are interested in the recipe I used and an experienced soaper please feel free to send me an email at fromtheseeds@gmail.com and I will be glad to share!

I got the inspiration for my spring soap from my spring garden! I decided to infuse the olive oil and canola oil I used in the recipe with some hyacinths, tulip petals and dried lavender. Please note that some people may be allergic to hyacinths as they are a known allergen.

These are the oils and butters I used, Mango Butter, Olive Oil, Canola Oil and Coconut Oil.


Here are the flowers I selected,


With the olive oil and canola oil added,


After several minutes on a low heat bubbling away,


This is after about 10 minutes of infusing the oil, note how dark the petals have become.


Next I added in mango butter and coconut oil into my infused oil and started my lye. When they both reached about 100* I combined them stirring slowly with a spatula, alternating with short bursts with my immersion blender.

This is what trace looks like,


To finish the soap off I added in a generous handful of Calendula petals.

Love the smell of Calendula.



I poured everything into a lined wooden mold. I covered the soap tightly for 24 hours then released the soap to cut. The soap hardened nicely.


Handmade Cold process Hyacinth, Lavender and Tulip infused Calendula Soap!

Perhaps a shorter name is needed?

The Spring Soap Bar,



The soap smells amazing, so sweet and soft. I'm going to let it cure for 4-5 weeks so it hardens nicely.

Have a great Thursday!



P.S.
I'm linking up to,

No comments:

Post a Comment